Have you created a sleep routine for your kids?
An estimated 50-70 million Americans suffer from sleep-related problems. Are you or a loved one affected? If so, I’ve got sleep consultants Lori and Sara Strong from Strong Little Sleepers to help. Lori and Sara help families develop custom sleep routines for families from newborns to adults. And today they are sharing their tips for creating a sleep routine for your family.
Lori and Sara are sisters-in-law and both certified child sleep consultants through the Family Sleep Institute. They provide sleep plans that you can put into action and guide and they support you along the way. They are both parents who believe sleep is not a luxury…Your family needs and deserves a good night’s sleep!
TIPS FOR CREATING A SLEEP ROUTINE FOR KIDS
- It is important to have a set series of activities to signal to your child and their body that it is time for sleep.
- Your nightly routine can include activities like a calm bathtime with dimmed lights, or reading books a limited number of books.
- Build activities like getting a glass of water, going to the bathroom, grabbing their favorite stuffed animal into the routine.
- What is in the routine is not as important as being consistent to help build the neurological pathways to signal it is time for rest.
- An average nightly sleep routine should take around 30-45 minutes.
- Have a talk with your family about your sleep routine before you implement it. This includes making a chart or checklist for expectations and what needs done.
- Having a nightly routine will cut down on decision fatigue when both you and your child are tired from the day. You don’t have to make a decision if you already know the routine.
PRODUCTS TO HELP WITH YOUR SLEEP ROUTINE
Lori and Sara want to emphasize that other a dark room and maybe some white noise, the only thing you really need for a great night’s sleep is a solid, consistent routine. Here are some product suggestions they have for room darkening and white noise machines:
- Redi Shade Blackout Cordless Pleated Shade
- Hatch Baby Rest Sound Machine
- Marpac Dohm White Noise Machine
- Lectrofan White Noise Machine
When traveling, bring a roll of black trash bags and painter’s tape to keep the room dark and your sleep routine in place.
If you want to check out the sleepy stories I mention that my kids love, check out the Moshi Twilight Sleep Stories App below…
- 3 oz Prosecco
- 2 oz Aperol (or other Apperativo)
- 1 oz Club Soda
- Orange Slice garnish
- Add all ingredients into a wine glass with ice and stir.
- Garnish with an orange wheel.
New episodes of “Cocktails and Containers” are available every week.
You can find past episodes “Cocktails and Containers” here.