Kitchens…we all have them and most us are not organizing them.
Kitchen and pantries are the number one area people ask me about when it comes to organizing their homes. Which is why this week I am chatting with a kitchen and pantry organizing expert…Allison Flinn.
Allison is a professional organizer and owner of Reclaim Professional Organizing in Raleigh, North Carolina. She currently organizes 1-2 pantries and kitchen a week so she knows a thing or two about what works and what can help you maintain your organizing efforts. Allison’s organizing tips are featured in U.S. News & World Report, Working Mother, Woman’s Day, Parade, Everyday Health, How Stuff Works and Mint.com. And now on Cocktails and Containers!
Allison’s Tips for Organizing Kitchens
- Pull everything out so you can truly see what you have. Yes, everything!
- Pare down duplicates and throw away expired items.
- Think about how you want to use your space and where items make the most sense. Glasses near the fridge, dishes and silverware near the dishwashers.
- After you have sorted and purged and assigned items to zone, then you can add some containers to help keep things in place and make labeling easier.
- If you are using drawer organizers, Allison suggests attaching them to the bottom of the drawer using 3M removable putty so they don’t shift around. (See list of suggested products below for link)
- When it comes to pantries, Allison believes your organizing efforts will stay in place better if you use some sort of bin, basket, can riser or lazy susan that is labeled to keep track of what goes where. Make it as easy as possible to get items back in their places for everyone in your household.
- Allison also suggests using a drawer to organize your spices because it makes it so much easier to see what you have and what you need.
- When it comes to maintaining your space, if you have done all the steps and your pantry or food cupboard is up to date, you just need to double check those baskets or bins on a seasonal basis to make sure everything is still good and so you know what you have. If you’ve put your time in to organize your pantry right, these seasonal cleanouts will be a breeze.
- Taking single serving snacks and beverages out of the boxes will make it easier to keep track of what you need .
Allison’s Product Suggestions for Organizing Kitchens
Allison talked about several products she likes to use, here are links to her favorites:
- 3M Removable Putty (for attaching drawer organizers)
- Bamboo Drawer Organizers
- Plastic Drawer Organizers
- Deep Drawer Organizers (good for pull out shelves in cabinets)
- Tiered Can Rack
- Lazy Susan
- Spice Drawer Organizer
Connect with Allison
And here’s that delicious cocktail that is a favorite of both Allison and Justin Timberlake 🤣🤣🤣
Spicy El Pepino
- 1 oz Cucumber Purée
- 1/4 inch Slice Fresh Jalapeño Pepper
- 1 1/2 oz Blanco Tequila
- 1 1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Agave Nectar
- Chili Piquin or Ancho Chili Powder and Salt to rim glass
- Cucumber Wheels garnish
- Crush the jalapeño in the bottom of a mixing glass using a muddler or back of a spoon. Add remaining liquid ingredients, cucumber purée and ice to glass. Shake well.
- Strain into a double rocks glass rimmed with chili powder and salt, if desired. Fill glass with fresh ice and garnish with cucumber wheel.
New episodes of “Cocktails and Containers” are available every week.
You can find past episodes “Cocktails and Containers” here.