Organizing school papers can be one of the biggest frustrations for parents.
And some of the hardest clutter to keep up with. It just never stops coming in!
Today I'm chatting with Susie Salinas about creating a school memory box to make organizing papers for your kids easier. Her business, Systems by Susie in Annapolis, Maryland, helps busy moms develop long-term, easy-to-maintain solutions to keep their homes, their lives, and their kids organized and stress-free. She spent her early career as a teacher and event planner. But four years ago she turned her love of organizing and helping others into a thriving home organization business. Her online shop offers School Memory Boxes and other ready-made organizing solutions. On top of all this, Susie is a mom to 3 kids and military spouse.
- Create a limit on what you keep...trust us, your kids will not want boxes upon boxes of their "memories'. Would you?
- Look for alternative ways to keep the memories like memory books for digital apps.
- Set yourself up with a good system to organize kids' papers right out of the gate so you just have to maintain it versus constantly recreating the wheel.
- Think of your end game when you are struggling with keeping too much. As Susie says "you want this to be a BLESSING, no a BURDEN". Most importantly, ask yourself if you would want your mom to show up with things like this from your childhood.
- If it is too hard for you to part with, put it in your Mom Memory Box rather than the kids' boxes.
And you can purchase Susie's School Memory Box kit or pre-made box from Susie's shop at https://www.systemsbysusie.com/shop
If you need some more basics of organizing kid's papers...check out my podcast episode with my 2 step system to start. You can listen HERE.
Here are the links to the products Susie recommends to create your school memory box:
•PINK: Pendaflex; http://amzn.to/2lAOHkn
•RED: Smead; http://amzn.to/2m6NCOT
•ORANGE: Smead; http://amzn.to/2lATXoe
•YELLOW: Smead; http://amzn.to/2lgsLKS
•GREEN: Smead; http://amzn.to/2l1VOiN
•NAVY: Smead; http://amzn.to/2l24u8B
•AQUA: Smead; http://amzn.to/2kGcWy9 or Pendaflex; http://amzn.to/2mgye1S (be sure to buy Aqua, not Teal!)
•PURPLE: Smead; http://amzn.to/2l1NC1Y
•KRAFT: Earthwise by Pendaflex; http://amzn.to/2kGqppN
•GRAY: Smead; http://amzn.to/2mgPTpU
Besides these products, Susie shares some of her favorite apps and online resources to help you pare down your piles of kid's artwork without the fear of losing the memory.
And be sure to connect with Susie for even more great ideas:
And lest you think I forgot the all important cocktail recipe...here you go!
- ½ bottle of champagne or sparkling Rosé, chilled
- ½ bottle of tonic, chilled
- ¼ cup Elderflower Liqueur (St. Germain)
Mix in pitcher and serve in flutes.
New episodes of “Cocktails and Containers” are available every week.
You can find past episodes “Cocktails and Containers” here.