Wait, I have to cook meals during Summer break???
Well that doesn’t sound like much of a Summer vacation! If you are anything like me, everything slows down and get a bit disorganized during the lazy days of Summer. But never fear, Summer meal planning help is here.
Today I am chatting with Ricki Youngkin from Once a Month Meals. Ricki is the Customer Success Manager there. She is also the face of many of their weekly Facebook Live videos. As a mom to 4 and freezer cooking fan, Ricki has tons of great ideas to help make feeding your family easier this Summer.
RICKI’S SUMMER MEAL PLANNING TIPS
- There are many benefits of freezer cooking. Save money on prepared meals or drive through. Because most of the work is already done you’ll save time. And you’ll save on clean up because there are very few mixing bowls or pans involved when you actually eat the dish you’ve prepared.
- When it comes to freezer cooking for the summer, don’t think casseroles and stews. Focus in on your main dish. Find recipes for your family for the grill, stove top or oven and then fill in with fresh veggies or side dishes.
- Looking for an easy way to get started with freezer cooking this summer? Check out the meal plans labeled Dump and Go. I have personally prepared one of these menus with 10 recipes in under an hours. That’s 20 meals prepped in 60 minutes!
- If preparing all these meals seems overwhelming, phone a friend. See if there is a friend or family member you can ask to come and cook with you. Then you both leave meals to fill your freezer.
- Thinking of camping or meal prepping for vacation this summer? Ricki suggests checking out some Instant Pot menus or foil packet recipes to make feeding your family easier while vacationing. You can watch Once a Month Meals prepare a Camping Instant Pot Menu at the link below.
- If you eat a specific diet and your family is not on board, try focusing in on that main ingredient. Make the main meal component comply with your diet and then your family can have the items they want. This way you are all happy without having to cook separate meals.
- Finally, if you are looking for kid friendly grilling options this summer…think kabobs. The kids will love helping the skewer the veggies. And you’ll love that they actually want to eat the veggies they skewered.
ONCE A MONTH MEALS RESOURCES
- Grilled Bruschetta Dump & Go Dinner
- Lemon Garlic Parmesan Baked Salmon & Asparagus
- Southwestern Chicken Salad
- S’Mores Calzones (S’mores in a Sleeping Bag)
Peach Bourbon Arnold Palmer
- 3 oz Iced Tea
- 3 oz Lemonade
- 1 oz Peach Schnapps
- 1-2 oz Bourbon
- Peach Sliced for garnish, optional
- Combine tea, lemonade, Peach Schnapps, & Bourbon in glass with ice. Stir and garnish with slice of peach.
New episodes of “Cocktails and Containers” are available every week.
You can find past episodes “Cocktails and Containers” here.